11 School Lane
Au Sable Forks, NY 12912
518-647-2204
M-F  8:00am to 4:30 pm

Town of Jay

Home of the Covered Bridge

Town of Jay Covered Bridge

The historic Jay Covered Bridge, with a 175’ span over the east branch of the AuSable River,  is the only remaining covered bridge in the Adirondacks.  The bridge was originally built in 1957 by George M. Burt utilizing a patented Howe Truss design, which increases its strength and capacity.   The Jay Covered Bridge was removed in 1997 and completely restored, utilizing original hand-hewed beams in the interior, and placed back to its original location in 2007, and is now a pedestrian/bicycle bridge.

The bridge is a very popular historic landmark, and beautifully set as part of the Douglas Memorial Park, overlooking the popular swimming spot “the holes” and the waterfalls upstream of the bridge.  The river beneath the bridge is also a popular fishing spot.

The bridge is listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and was approved for the National Register of Historic Places, but has yet not been listed. 

 

 

 

For further information and beautiful pictures of the Jay Covered Bridge rehabilitation project, see the following link

http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/ny/jay_rehab.html

For additional very interesting historic information, pictures, and articles about the bridge, including accidents in/on and around the bridge please see the following links;

http://www.vermontbridges.com/jayny%20nyscbs1.htm

http://www.vermontbridges.com/jayny%20nyscbs2.htm

http://www.vermontbridges.com/jayny%20nyscbs3.htm

http://www.vermontbridges.com/jayny%20nyscbs4.htm

http://www.vermontbridges.com/jayny%20nyscbs5.htm

http://www.vermontbridges.com/jayny%20nyscbs6.htm

Directions:

Town Board

Resolutions

Assessment Rolls

Town Board & Event Videos

Subscribe To Our Site